Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Album Review: Drake "Thank Me Later"


The wait is over. Hip Hops new king is here to reign! Or is he? The anticipation has set standards that are almost impossible for Drake to live up to. It was my fear that he was set up for failure.

My first listen through was very unfulfilling. Not that it wasn't good, there just wasn't an "initial impact." No super hot tracks, no clever hooks. And after listening to the album I realized that he was singing just as much as he was rapping. I personally enjoy him more as an emcee considering the fading trend of Auto Tune.

I don't want to be a total hater, so I will say this: Drake is very close to being a lyrical genius. There are great metaphors, and superb verses on this record. The guy can rap. But with the expectations set by the industry and himself, this album is far from classic work. Especially from someone who claims to run hip hop!

Get the record. Expect to hear great verses, great colabs (Jeezy, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, T.I., Alicia Keys), but thats about it. My Fav is "Thank Me Now."

DaNastyOne

Grade: B-

0 comments:

Post a Comment