Monday, August 3, 2009

Talkin' Bout Good and Bad Hair...

This is the trailer for Chris Rock's documentary "Good Hair." In this movie Chris Rock goes into our obsession with hair.

Just like our complex about skin color, the complex of hair texture is something that has plagued the Black community for generations. With the advancements to hair care made by Madam C. J. Walker (hair care products) and Garrett A. Morgan (straightening comb) Blacks were able to change their natural "kinky" hair to the "more acceptable" straight hair of their Caucasian contemporaries. We saw this "conformity" become a trend in 1920's through the 1950's; that is, until the 1960's ushered in an era of Black Pride.

Hair straightening now is borderline cliche; everyone wants relaxed hair or long straight hair. Mother's are perming their daughter's hair as soon as their true hair texture is revealed. I received my first perm in either Kindergarten or 1st grade, and I loved my permed hair. I received my last 3 years ago; now I'm a proud dread head, and I love it as well.

This on-going debate about hair in our community is one that will never end, because at the end of the day...to each his/her own. What we have to see is that it is not in the way that we wear our hair that makes us beautiful; it is in our attitudes and character that truly defines BEAUTY.

-Deonshay Danson

0 comments:

Post a Comment