Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's About Time...



The wait for little girls of color is over. Disney has created it's first full length animated film with a black princess. First, I didn't even know that Disney still made animated feature films, because all I ever see are Pixar movies. Second, it's about time that young black girls have a Disney princess that they can call there own.

I grew up watching Disney movies, my faves (Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan, and Aladdin). Notice how Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty are not in my faves. Even as a young girl, I was well aware of my skin complexion and the implications of it, and it bothered me that Disney, which was for ALL kids, didn't have any princesses who even came close to looking like me. Pocahontas, Mulan, and Princess Jasmine diversified their princess pool, and I particularly liked Pocahontas and Mulan for their strength and courage.

I still think that it is a shame that we got a Black president before we got a Black Disney Princess, and maybe the election served as a catalyst for Disney to make a Black Princess. The movie comes out this holiday season and I will be taking my teenage sister (17) and my baby sister (1) to go see this movie, even if the teenager doesn't want to go...lol.


-Deonshay Danson

0 comments:

Post a Comment